- Ahmad Vosough Dizaj
- - Department of Female Infertility, Royan Institute, Tehran, Iran
- Mahnaz Ashrafi
- 1- Department of Obstet . and Gynecol Faculty of Medicine, Iran Medical Sciences University, Tehran, Iran
- 2- Department of Female Infertility, Royan Institute, Tehran, Iran
- Fatemeh Firoozi
Received: 7/1/2004 Accepted: 7/1/2004 - Publisher : Avicenna Research Institute
Introduction: Due to high prevalence of uterus abnormalities, assessment of uterine and ovarian tubes is important for preliminary management of infertility. Sonohystrography and hystrosalpin-gography are two diagnostic techniques which are widely used for diagnosis of uterus abnormal-ities and tubal pathologies. Since sonohystrography is more convenient (for both patient and radiologist) than hystrosalpingography we decided to study the reliability of the two techniques in accordance to each other, in patients who refer to Rooyan Institute. The main aim of this study was to define the correlation between sonohystrography and hystrosalpingography in the diagno-sis of tubal and uterus abnormalities. Materials and Methods: In a cross-sectional study on 72 infertile females who met the inclu-sion criteria (2001-2003) both hystrosonography and hystrosalpingography were performed and according to the results, the percentage of correlation and Kappa index were calculated. P<0.05 was considered significant. results: of the 72 studied patients, 57 had primary infertility. considering patency of ovarian tubes, the percentage of agreement between the 2 techniques was 92.9% and for uterine cavity this index was 66.67%. the corresponding kappa indices were 51% and 22%, respectively. conclusion: the calculated correlations in this study were similar to those found by other researches. however, cost-effectiveness and efficacy of each procedure (performed separately or combined with each other) remain to be studied.< pan>0.05>
Keywords: Infertility, Sonohystrography, Hysterosalpangiography, Degree of agreement, Kappa, Reliability To cite this article:
- Linderma H., Mohr J., Co2 hysteroscopy diagnosis and treatment. Am J Obstet Gynecol.1976;124:129-133.
- Henig I., Prough S.G., Cheatwood M., Delong E. Hystrosalpingography, Laparosco-py and hystroscopy in infertility. A compara-tive study. Clarify J Reprod Med.1991;36(8): 573-5.
- Cengiz A., Esra A., Cem A., Koyhan Y., Senai A., Mutu H. Evaluation of intrauterine abnormalities in infertile patients by sono-hysterography. Hum Reprod.1997;12(3):487-490.
- Goldberg J.M., Falcone T., Attaran M. Sonohysterographic evaluation of uterine abnormalities noted on hysterosalpingogra-phy. Hum Reprod.1997;12(10):2151-53.
- Hamilton J.A., Larson A.J., Lower A.M., Hasnain S., Gradzinskas J.C. Routine use of saline hysterosonography in 500 consecutive unselected infertile women. Hum Reprod. 1998;13(9):2463-73.
- Soares S.R., Barbosa D.R., Camargos A.F. Diagnostic accuracy of sonohysterography, transvaginal sonography and hysterosal-pingography in patientswith uterin cavity disase. Fertil Steril.2000;73(2):406-411.
- Kodaman P.H., Arici A., Seli E. Evidence based diagnosis and management of tubal factor infertility. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2004;16(3):221-9.
- Winfield Alan C., Wentz A.C. Diagnostic Imaging in infertility, 2nd Edition, published by Williams & wilkins.1992;pp:13-38.
- Dawson B., Trapp R.G. Basic and clinical biostatistis. 3rd Edition, published McGraw- Hill Company, New York.2001;pp:115-116.
- Byrt T. How good is that agreement? (letter to editor). Epidemiology.1996;7:561.
- Loverro G., Nappi L., Vicino M., Carr- iero C., Vimercati A., Selvaggi L. Uterinca-vity asessment in infertile women: compar-ison of transvaginal sonography and hystero-scopy. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2001;10:100.
- Cincinelli E., Romano F., Anastasio R.S., et al. Trans-abdominal sonohysterography, trans-vaginal sonography and hysteroscopy in the evaluation of submucons myomas. Obstet Gynecol.1995;85:42-47.
- de Almedia I., Souza C., Reginatto F., Cunha Filho J.S., Freitas F., et al. Hystrosal-pangography in diagnosis of tubal patency in infertility patients. Rev Assoc Med Bras. 2000;46(4):342-5.
- Keltz M.D., Olive D.L., Kim A.H., Arici A. Sonohysterography for screening in recur-ent pregnancy loss. Fertil Steril.1997;67(4): 670-4.
- Salle B., Caucherand P., De saint Atilaive P., Rudigoz R.C. Transvaginal sonohystero- graphic evaluation of intrauterine adhesions. J Clin Ultrasound.1999;27(3):131 -4.
- Gronlund L., Hertz J., Helm P., Color N.P. Transvaginal sonohysterography and hysteroscopy in the evaluation of female infertility, habitual abortion or metrorrhagia, a comparative study. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand.1999;75(5):415-8.
- Bonilla Musoles F., Simon C., Serra V., et al. An assessment of hysterosalpingogra- phy (HSSG) a diagnostic tool for uterine cavity defects andtubal patency. J ClinUltrasound. 1992;20:175-181.
- Widrich T., Bradley L.D., Mitchinson A.R., et al. Comparison of saline infusion sonography with office hysteroscopy for the evaluation of the endometrium. Am J Obstet Gynecol.1996;174(4):1327-34.
- Tsankova M., Nalbanski B., Borisov I., Borisov S. A comparative study between hysterosalpingography and laparoscopy in evaluating female infertility. Akush Ginekol. 2000;39(1):20-2.
- Fleidscher A.C., Vasquez J.M., Culinan J.A., Eisenbery E. Sonohysterography combi-ned with sonosalpingography: correlation with endosonic finding in infertility patients. J Ultrasound Med.1997;16(6):381-4.
- Berek J.S. Novak's Gynecology. 13th Edition.2002.