Introduction: Surrogate motherhood's moral justification entirely depends on the ethical theory, which is taken from the normative ethics. Deontologists do believe that surrogate motherhood is morally impermissible in the light of Kantian notion of human dignity. In contrast, consequen-tialists focus on the pleasure and the pain of an action in order to arrive at its badness or goodness, morally speaking. Materials & Methods: In this article, firstly, deontologists' argument in favor of the imper-missibility of surrogate motherhood is formulated. Then, in order to undermine deontolo-gists' argument and make surrogate motherhood plausible from moral viewpoint, some ideas are utilized from act utilitarianism. Conclusion: As far as surrogate motherhood is concerned, formation of an ethical committee, composed of a specialist in ethics, a physician, a psychologist, and a sociologist, is proposed in order to concretize act utilitarianism concepts.
Keywords: Surrogate motherhood, Human dignity, Pain, Pleasure, Act utilitarianism To cite this article:
- Tong R. Surrogate Motherhood In A Companion To Applied Ethics. Frey RG, Weltman C (Editors), (Ox-ford: Blackwell Publishing). 2005;369-381.
- ساليوان راجر. اخلاق در فلسفه كانت. ترجمة عزتالله فولاوند، طرح نو، تهران، 1380.
- Hill Jr TE. Kantianism in The Blackwell Guide to Ethi-cal Theory. Lafollete H. (Editor), Oxford: Black-well Publishers. 2000;p:227-246.
- Frey RG. Act-Utilitarianism in Blackwell Guide To Ethical Theory. Oxford, Blackwell Publishers. 2000;p: 165-182.
- O'Neill O. Kantian Ethics in A Companion to Ethics. Singer P (Editors), Oxford, Blackwell Publishers.1997; p:175-185. (Firse Published 1991.)
- Hooker B. Rule-Consequentialism in Blackwell Guide to Ethical Theory. Oxford. Blackwell Publishers. 2005; p:183-204.
- دباغ سروش. عام گرايي و خاص گرايي در فرا اخلاق. انديشه ديني، فصلنامه علميـ پزوهشي دانشگاه شيراز، تابستان 1386، شماره 20-3.
- Ross DW. The Right And The Good. Oxford Clarendon Press. 1930; Chapter 2.