- Nasrin Mirzaie
- - Psychological Consultation Department, Sarem Medical Center, Tehran, Iran
- AbooTaleb Saremi
- - Department of Obstet . and Gynecol Faculty of Medicine, Azad University & Obs & Gyn Department, Sarem Medical Center, Tehran, Iran
Received: 4/1/2002 Accepted: 4/1/2002 - Publisher : Avicenna Research Institute
Unconsummated marriage (UCM) is defined as a marriage with no intercourse action. Different etiologies have been introduced as the causative agents including psychiatric, social and physical factors. The reported couple had under gone treatment due to 14 years history of UCM and wanting a child. During marriage and UCM follow up the wife had undertaken multiple surgeries for cervical dilatation, myomectomy, electrocautery and a course of psychotherapy. According to their please to have a child, 10 times IUI had been performed which were unsuccessful. Approximately after psychiatric assessment, couples were treated by sex therapy methods and then individual psychotherapy was performed for wife to reduce anxiety. After 5 months, pregnancy occurred via normal intercourse, which resulted in a term delivery. Combination of couple sex therapy and individual psychotherapy haven’t been used before to treat UCM. Other methods such as dual sex therapy, hypno-behavioral therapy and psychosomatic therapy have been used separately or in combination with urology and gynecologic treatments. Since inadequate knowledge about sexual relationship and dependency to paternal family are of the most important and frequent reasons of this disorder, it seems sexual relation education in educational and health centers in our country is necessary.
Keywords: Unconsummated marriage, Sex therapy, Psychotherapy, Infertility To cite this article:
- Kaplan H.I., Sadock B.J. Synopsis of psychiatry. Behavioural Sciences, clinical Psychiatry. Lippincott,William’s Wilkins, 8th Edition. 1998; pp 708- 9.
- Balint M. The other part of medicine. Lancet. 1961; 1: 40- 2.
- براتي امير حسين، محرابي فريدون. بررسي علل ازدواجهاي به وصال نرسيده در ايران . دفترچه مقالات سمينار سراسري پايان نامههاي پزشكي، سال 1377، ص 18-9.
- Zargooshi J. Unconsummated marriage, clarification of etiology and treatment with intracorporeal injection. BJU. 2000; 86: 75- 9.
- Watson J.P., Brockman B. A follow-up of couples attending a psychosexual problems clinic. Br J Clin Psychol. 1982; 21(2): 143- 4.
- Masters W., Johnson V. Human sexual inadequacy. Boston, LittleBrown and Co. 1970.
- Fuchs K. Hypnobehavioral approach for then -consummated marriage. I Am Soc Psychosom. Dent Med. 1972; 19 (3): 77- 82.
- Kaplan H.S., Fyer A.J., Novick A. The treatment of sexual phobias: the combined use of antipanic medication and sex therapies. J Sex Mortalit Ther. 1982; 8(1): 3- 28.
- Bramley H.M., Draper K., Kilvington J.M. Brief psychosomatic therapy for consummation of marriage. Br J Obs Gyn. 1981; 88: 819- 24.
- Bramley H.M., Brown J., Draper K.C., et al. Non-consummation of marriage treated by members of the IPM: a prospective study. Br J Obs Gyn. 1983; 90: 908- 13.
- Schover L.R., Montague D.K., Youngs D.D. Multidisciplinary treatment of an unconsummated marriage with organic factors in both spouses. Clev Clin J Med. 1993; 60(1): 72- 4.