There are generally three factors involved in male infertility:low count, weak motility, and abnormal morphology of spermatozoa. Currently, it is impossible to improve the quality of sperm count and morphology in vitro . However, it may become possible to improve the sperm motility with the application of motility enhancer medicine. The objective of this study was to evaluate the effect of pentoxifylline(PX) on sperm motility and morphology of asthenozoospermic epididymal and testicular samples. The specimens were retrieved with percutaneous epididymal sperm aspiration (PESA) and testicular sperm extraction (TESE) from men with obstructive azoospermia. A total of 40 PESA and 40 TESE samples were allocated to this prospective study. Following preliminary evaluation, each sample was processed with swim up procedure and then divided into two aliquots of control (non –PX ) and PX (3.5 mM PX). Following 45 min of incubation at 37C, the percentages of motility and normal morphology of spermatozoa were evaluated using Mackler chamber and papaniclau staining techinque, respectively. The mean sperm counts in the PESA and TESE groups were 7.47.3106 and 2.431.3x106, respectively. The percentages of normal morphology in the above groups were 22.6711.6 and 14.99.2 which were respectively changed to 23.215.7 and 9.51.9 with PX incubation. In addition, the percentage of control progressive motility in the PESA and TESE samples were 13.94.2% and 0.260.6% which were increased to 20.19.7% (p<0.001 ) and 0.950.03% (p<0.05). these results strongly suggest that px was successful in enhancing sperm motility particularly in the pesa group. it also did not have any significant side effect on sperm morphology. px is considered to be safe and cheap, with easy application which may be used for improving the male infertility treatment program. with its dual role as motility enhancer and vitality detector of spermatozoa, it can be used safely for the icsi treatment of severe cases of asthenozoospermia.< pan>0.001>
Keywords: Infertile men, Pentoxifylline, Motility, Morphology To cite this article:
- Tournaye H, Devroey P, Liu J. Microsurgical epididymal sperm aspiration and intracytoplasimc sperm injection a new effective technique in absence of the vas deferens. Fertil Steril. 1994, 61:1045-51.
- Mansour R, Aboulghar M, Serous G. Intracytoplasmic sperm injection using microsurgically retrieved epididymal and testicular sperm. Fertil Steril. 1996, 65:566-72.
- Pryor J, Parsons J, Goswamy R. In vitro fertilization for men with obstructive azoospermia. Lancet. 1994, 2:762.
- Silber SJ, Nagy PZ, Liu J. Conventional in vitro fertilization versus intracytoplassmic sperm injection for patients requiring microsurgical sperm aspiration. Hum Reprod. 1994, 9:705-9.
- Temple–Smith PD, Southwick GJ, Yates CA.Human pregnancy by in vitro fertilization using sperm aspirated from epididymis. J in Vitro Fert ET. 1985, 2:119-22.
- Tournaye H, Liu J, Nagy PZ. Corerlation between testicular histology and outcome after intracytoplasmic sperm injection using testicular spermatozoa.Hum Reprod. 1996, 11: 127-32.
- Tasdemir I, Tasdemir M, Tavukcuoglu S. Effect of pentoxifylline on immotile testicular spermatozoa. J Assist Reprod Genet. 1998, 15:90-2.
- Yovich JM, Edirisinghe WR, Cummins JM, et al. Influence of pentoxifylline in severe male factor infertility. Fertil Steril. 1990, 53: 75-22.
- World Health Organization. WHO manual for the standardized investigation and diagnosis of the infertile couple Cambridge Uni press. 1993.
- Yovich JL. Pentoxifylline. actions and applications in assisted reproduction.Hum Reprod. 1993, 8:1786-91.
- Ng FLH, Liu DY, Baker GH. Comparison of percoll, mini-percoll, and swim–up methods for sperm preparation from abnormal semen samples. Hum Reprod. 1993, 7:261-6.
- Tesarick J, Thebault A, Testart J. Ettect of pentoxifylline on sperm movement charachteristics in normozoospermic and asthenozoospermic specimens. Hum Reprod. 1992, 7:1257-63.
- Nckinney KA, Lewis M, Thompson S. Persistent effects of pentoxifylline on human sperm motility after drug removal in normozoospermic and asthenozoospermic individuals. Andrologia. 1994, 26:235-240.
- Angelopoulos T, Adler A, Krey L, et al. Enhancement of initiation of testicular sperm motility by in vitro culture of testicular tissue. Fertil Steril. 1999, 71:240-3.
- Khalili MA, Pourshafie MR, Saifi M, et al. Bacterial infection of urogenital of infertile men in Iran. MEFS J 2000.
- Buch JP. Philips KA. Kolon T. Cropreservation of microsurgical extracted ductal sperm: Pentoxifylline enhancement of motility. Fertil Steril. 1994, 62:418-20.