- Omid Asemani
- - Department of Medical Ethics and Philosophy of Health, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
- Mohammad Emami
- - School of Law and Political Sciences, Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran
Received: 4/10/2010 Accepted: 7/3/2010 - Publisher : Avicenna Research Institute
Background: Gestational surrogacy is a recent revolutionary subject in assisted repro-ductive technology (ART) with profound effects on religious, legal, ethical and societal matters. Since enacting the law in this matter could efficiently handle challenges and prevent subjective inclinations, the authors of this study wished to suggest the adoption of a particular Iranian law on the subject, regarding the different legal systems worldwide. Methods: In this article, effort has been made to conduct a comparison between the Gestational Surrogacy Law of Illinois, USA and some other similar resources with those of Iranian laws and regulations. Results: Surrogacy laws in some countries like India and Australia have been drafted but only in the Illinois, USA it has been signed into law. Drawing a crude comparison between the limited existing laws and regulations on surrogacy reveals small structural differences but a bulk of similarities among them. Despite its novelty and regardless of any specific law, surrogacy practices have been made possible in Iran due to the utilization of common rules and observation of Fatwa issued by clerics in this regard. Conclusion: Aside from religious rules, surrogacy laws meet a rational basis and they have been evolved to address societal needs and seem justifiable enough to be applicable for a general Iranian law preparation.
Keywords: Full surrogacy, Gestational surrogacy, Legitimacy of surrogacy, Surrogacy act, Surrogacy contract To cite this article:
- Nayebzadeh A. [law investigation of new artificial reproductive technologies, surrogacy, gamete and embryo donation]. 1st ed. Tehran: Majd; 2001. p. 79. Persian.
- Brinsden PR. Gestational surrogacy. Hum Reprod Update. 2003;9(5):483-91. [PubMed]
- Guide to Surrogacy World [Internet]. c2009-2010. Surrogacy; 2009-2010 [cited 2010 Feb 10]; [about 4 screens]. Available from: http://www.surrogacy911. com/surrogacy.
- Victorian Law Reform Commission. Assisted Repro-ductive Technology & Adoption: Final report. 1st ed. Melbourne: Victorian Law Reform Commission; 2007. Chapter 16, Surrogacy; p. 159-68.
- COTS: Childlessness Overcome Through Surrogacy [Internet]. UK: COTS; 2007. Surrogacy Arrange-ments Act 1985 (Chapter 49); 1985 Jul 16 [cited 2010 Feb 27]; [about 5 screens]. Available from: http:// www.surrogacy.org.uk/pdf/Sur-act.pdf
- CSG: The Council of State Governments [Internet]. Illinois: CSG; c2010. Gestational Surrogacy; 2006 [cited 2010 Feb 11]; [about 7 screens]. Available from: http://www.csg.org/knowledgecenter/docs/ssl/ Surrogacy.pdf
- Karcher HL. Germany bans surrogacy. BMJ. 1990; 301(6760):1063. [PubMed]
- Cohen J, Jones H. [Assisted reproduction. Rules and laws. International comparisons]. Contracept Fertil Sex. 1999;27(4):I-VII. French. [PubMed]
- Schenker JG. Assisted reproduction practice in Eur-ope: legal and ethical aspects. Hum Reprod Update. 1997;3(2):173-84. [PubMed]
- Golombok S, Murray C, Jadva V, MacCallum F, Lycett E. Families created through surrogacy arrangements: parent-child relationships in the 1st year of life. Dev Psychol. 2004;40(3):400-11. [PubMed]
- Alizadeh M. [The nature of using surrogacy contracts]. Spec J Theol Law. 2007;23:149-68. Persian.
- Alizadeh M. [Jurisprudential and legal states of surrogacy]. Spec J Theol Law. 2006;19:177-96. Persian.
- Akhondi MM, Behjati Ardekani Z. [Surrogacy and the necessity for its application in infertility treatment]. J Reprod Infertil. 2008;9(1):7-13. Persian. [Abstract]
- Naseri Moghadam H. [Jurisprudential laws of relationship regarding infants born via surrogacy]. J Reprod Infertil. 2008;9(1):14-29. Persian. [Abstract]
- Qasemzadeh SM. [Surrogacy contracts in the Iranian law]. J Reprod Infertil. 2008;9(2):182-94. Persian. [Abstract]
- Garmaroudi S. [Gestational surrogacy in Iran]. J Reprod Infertil. 2008;9(1):50-64. Persian. [Abstract]
- Katoozian N. [The civil law, family law]. 3rd ed. Tehran: Publication Stock Company with Bahman-Borna Collaboration; 1992. p. 6. Persian.
- Rahimi H. [Civil responsibility in surrogacy]. J Reprod Infertil. 2008;9(2):165-81. Persian. [Abstract]
- Milanifar AR, Akhondi MM, Behjati Ardekani Z, Abdolahzadeh A. [Issuing birth certificates and ID cards for newborns following a surrogate birth and the legal and ethical responsibilities of the medical team]. J Reprod Infertil. 2008;9(1):82-8. Persian. [Abstract]
- Justice AR. Need for legislation to regulate assisted reproductive technology clinics as well as right obligation of parties to a surrogacy. India: Union Minister of Law and Justice, Ministry of Law and Justice; 2009 Aug. 27 p. Report No.: 228.
- Seifi G. [Third party rights in surrogate mother contracts]. J Reprod Infertil. 2008;9(1):65-81. Persian. [Abstract]
- Singer PA. Bioethics at the bedside: a clinician’s guide. 1st ed. Ottawa: Canadian Medical Association; 1999. p. 1-38.
- Fazli Khalaf Z, Shafiabadi A, Tarahhomi M. [Psychological aspects of surrogate motherhood]. J Reprod Infertil. 2008;9(1):43-9. Persian. [Abstract]
- Pashmi M, Ahmadi SA, Tabatabaie SMS. [The need for counseling surrogate mothers before practicing surrogacy]. J Reprod Infertil. 2009;9(4):361-72. Persian. [Abstract]
- Behjati Ardekani Z, Akhondi MM, Yaghmaie F, Milanifar AR. [Consultations and health assessments in surrogacy]. J Reprod Infertil. 2008;9(2): 107-14. Persian. [Abstract]
- Yousefi H, Ghahari S. [Perspectives and challenges of surrogacy in Iran]. J Reprod Infertil. 2008;9(2): 137-43. Persian. [Abstract]
- Alivi NM. [Custody in Islamic Religion and Law, Epistle Magister]. 1st ed. Amman: Al Dar Al Ealmie Al Doulatie va Dar Al Saghafate Lel-Nashre va Touziae; 2000. p. 80-97. Arabic.
- Najafi MH, editor. [Pederasty, Lesbianism, and Panderism]. Beirut: Dar Al Ehyaa Al Torase Al Arabie; 1991. 374 p. (Al Ghoochani M, editor. Javaher Al Kalam; vol. 41). Arabic.
- Jurisprudence and law group. [Expressed fatwa at new reproductive technologies from jurisprudence and law perspectives (collection of papers)]. 2nd ed. Tehran: Avicenna Research Institute and SAMT; 2001. p. 392- 424. Persian.
- Aramesh K. [Ethical assessment of monetary relationship in surrogacy]. J Reprod Infertil. 2008;9(1): 36-42. Persian.